This page is here to assist you in calculating the weights, and maximum weights for your vehicle.
Now there are a few numbers that you will need to know, but you should be able to get them from Redbook, your Owners Manual, or find them stamped on the vehicle. If in doubt, contact the vehicle manufacturer to get hold of the following numbers:
- Tare Mass – This is the unladen mass of your vehicle, as the vehicle leaves the showroom without any accessories on it. No bullbars, no towbar, and generally with only 10l of fuel!
- Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) – This is the MAXIMUM permitted vehicle weight, this includes the car itself plus passengers, fuel, towball downweight, accessories, and anything you cram into or on the vehicle, you can’t exceed this number
- Payload – This form will Auto-Calculate Payload (Cool), but check this against manufacturers specifications. Items that will detract from your payload. This is passengers, fuel, towball downweight, accessories, and anything you cram into or on the vehicle, you can’t exceed this number. This form calculates Payload with GVM – Tare, so please verify this number yourself.
- Gross Combination Mass (GCM) – This is the MAXIMUM weight of your vehicle and any attached trailer. You cannot exceed this mass.
- Braked Towing Capacity (BTC) – This is the maximum weight that your vehicle can tow if using trailer brakes. The weight of the trailer cannot exceed this mass.
- Maximum Towball Downforce – This is the maximum vertical downforce that can be placed on your towball. In most (Not all) cases, this will be approximately 10% of your vehicles BTC
Please remember, the above values are only as good as the weights that you have placed into the form.
This page is in no way a legal document, it is just simple mathematical equations that add and subtract. You can verify the results yourself with a calculator, and we encourage you to do this.
This calculator is not a replacement for a legal, certified, weighbridge. Please check Google for your nearest public weighbridge and give them a visit to verify your weights.